Tuesday, April 19, 2016

REVIEW | First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF40





Pros
Absorbs quickly
Semi matte finish
A little seems to go a long way
Mineral (not chemical) sunscreen
Minimizes pores a bit (or at least, doesn't make them look worse)

Cons
White cast initially
SPF 40 (lasts 6.67hrs)
Not moisturizing
Easily confused with the cream if you have both (see above)

Price
$30 for 2 oz / 56.7 g

Verdict
I purchased this sunscreen per Raeview's recommendation. I like that it's easily absorbed into the skin, but if you didn't moisturize your skin well the night before, this can be a bit drying after you put it on, so the "moisturizer" part of it probably only applies to oily-skinned gals. 
I once grabbed the cream instead of the sunscreen by accident (because they look SO SIMILAR, see above) and applied it - I noticed if you layer the moisturizer underneath, the sunscreen itself balls up. Surprising, considering I used the Ultra Repair Cream (review here) from the same line. 

I also noticed this isn't an ideal base for liquid foundation. I tried using the Make Up For Ever Face and Body (review soon) and it seems to accentuate the dry textures on my face. (Mind you, the MUFE Face and Body isn't supposed to be a drying/oil controlling foundation). I also tried the Laneige BB Cushion (review here) and it seems to do the same thing. 

I reach for this almost everyday that I'm not wearing makeup - despite its misgivings. But I think $30 is a bit expensive when you can get mineral sunscreens for cheaper, and I don't like that I have to apply more sunscreen or powder sunscreen at the 6 hour mark to avoid sunspots (where I am in California, the sun is basically up 7am to 7 or 8pm, so a 6.67hr wear of sunscreen is not going to cut it). Luckily, I noticed that the Shiseido SPF 36 powder seems to layer well on top of this after blotting.

Repurchase?
No.

Would I recommend it?
If you don't mind the price or touching up your sunscreen, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts